What started out as a controlled burn quickly grew out of control Wednesday afternoon, July 10, resulting in the destruction of several buildings on the Robert Peterson farm, 2-1/4 miles north of Rutland on Hawaii Avenue.
Peterson was burning garbage on the farm when a spark caught a corn crib on fire. The fire spread to a storage shed, a barn and the garage. Humboldt and Bode fire departments responded to the scene and firefighters where able to extinguish the flames in the garage before they spread to the house. No one was injured in the blaze. For more information see the July 18 issue of the Humboldt Independent.